Of all the pests out there, mice are some of the craftiest and most difficult to prevent. It’s not just that they are good at hiding, it’s also that they can find ways inside of even clean and well-protected properties. Only by learning precisely why they’re so hard to keep out, and why you should turn to the experts for total removal, can you hope to avoid the worst problems that house mice bring with them.
House Mice: What To Watch For
Other than rats, mice are the most common invasive rodent out there. They need food, water, and shelter to survive, making human homes and businesses the best place for them to shack up and have all of their needs met. That’s why they’ve mastered the art of slipping in undetected, but their territorial ways make it so that a property is almost never infested with both mice and rats at the same time. Rather than compete with other rodents, mice like to find unclaimed spots to call their own. That’s why it’s important to be able to tell them apart from rats because you can’t fix the problem without knowing exactly what it is. Here’s how you can identify a house mouse:
- Size: Mice tend to be much smaller than rats, typically only growing a couple of inches in length. Their long tails trail far behind them, often longer than the rest of their bodies.
- Ears: Mice have large, perfectly round ears that sit directly atop their heads. Rats, meanwhile, have pinched ears.
- Droppings: Mice are so good at hiding that you’re less likely to see them than you are to see the feces they leave behind. Their small droppings can be told apart from the larger, curled droppings of rats.
The Dangers Of Mice In Your Home
Mice aren’t just unwanted house guests, they are also dangerous health hazards. Not only can they be incredibly tough to get rid of, but mice can also lead to all the following issues:
- Damage: Mice have front teeth that grow their whole lives, meaning they have to chew on hard things to keep their incisors filed down. They do this by gnawing on household materials, resulting in bite marks and often irreversible damage.
- Disease: Rodents are well-known for their ability to transmit diseases, including rabies, hantavirus, and plague.
- Parasites: Even if a rodent isn’t a carrier of one of those dangerous viruses or bacteria, they can also be infested with fleas, ticks, and other harmful parasites.
Why They’re So Hard To Keep Out
Mice can chew and dig their way through faults in your walls and floors, turning a tiny hole or crack into a gaping entrance. Once they gain access, mice tend to nest inside of dark, cramped spaces like walls and ventilation shafts. Once they hunker down, total removal is a tall order. People often try to get rid of rodents with a few well-placed traps or baits. While this can succeed in killing a couple of mice, it won’t do anything to address the overall infestation. Mice breed quickly and can grow up in a matter of weeks, so any elimination methods that don’t directly address a mouse’s prolific nature is more of a cover-up than a real solution. Too many homeowners waste money and crucial time on these kinds of tactics, thinking they’ll save money by cutting corners or going with what seems easy. However, to truly address a rodent infestation, you need to turn straight to the experts who know what works.
Total Mouse Control From BugBros Pest Control
When it comes to house mice, you should go with what’s known to work rather than what will likely fail. Only proven, professional assistance can completely root out rodent populations and protect you from future invasions. At BugBros Pest Control, our trained experts know all the ways mice get in and where they like to hide. Our fast, effective solutions are guaranteed to drive out existing pests populations and, more importantly, prevent them from coming right back. To get started on an inspection of your home, even just to see if mice might easily become a problem, contact BugBros Pest Control.
Our Crazy Happy Customers
We're the highest-rated around because we're incredibly passionate about our craft. As a matter of fact, our Crazy Happy Customers have given us a perfect 5.0 rating on 1,500+ reviews. That's unheard of! See for yourself why our raving fans have placed us head & shoulders above the competition.