You probably don’t realize how common fleas really are. Not only can they be a problem for animals and humans alike, they are incredibly difficult to eliminate once they move in. Only by spotting the early signs, and taking care to implement early prevention measures, can you avoid fleas in your home.
Signs of Fleas in Your Home
Fleas are tiny, almost microscopic parasites that feed off the blood of large animals. While they are incredibly small, they actually can be seen with the naked eye. Not only can they be spotted crawling on contaminated items, or within hair and fur, fleas can also leap great distances for such small creatures. You can actually see them springing around on fabrics, or hopping from one animal to another. This is how fleas get around, by clinging and hitching rides, and then hopping to safety. While pets that are frequently scratching or biting at patches of skin can signal other things, it can also be the first sign of fleas in your home. If you notice this, you should immediately inspect your pet for any signs of fleas, or their eggs. Use a fine-tooth comb and do this outside, so any fleeing fleas won’t be able to infest other areas.
The Dangers of a Flea Infestation
Flea infestations can make people and pets miserable. Because of their biting, fleas leave itchy marks in their wake. These can pile up, and cause extreme discomfort. Not only that, fleas can lead to other concerns in your home:
- Bites: Fleas don’t just bite pets, they will also bite people too.
- Allergies: While it’s rare, some animals can have allergic reactions to the chemicals in a flea’s saliva. While it’s not particularly dangerous, it can lead to rashes that only increase the discomfort of flea feedings.
- Infection: Repeated scratching at the site of flea bites can lead to infection, especially as the wound is continually re-opened, and exposed to germs.
Flea Prevention for Your Home
Because the problems they cause are so concerning, the best way to deal with fleas is to keep them out of your home in the first place. To do that, you need to be diligent and take frequent steps to limit your exposure:
- Pet checks: You should regularly check your pet’s fur for signs of the small brown insects, especially before they come inside from playing outdoors.
- Clothes checks: You also need to check yourself thoroughly, especially after touching your pets. Fleas can cling to clothing, skin, and our own hair too.
- Flea products: Ointments and pre-treated collars worn by your pets can ward off fleas. Keep in mind, however, that many of these products are not guaranteed to work at all times.
- Treatments: Professional treatments administered to your home can protect from fleas, and all kinds of other invasive pests. Contact your local pest professionals for more information.
The Best Protection from BugBros
To truly protect yourself, and your loved ones, from biting fleas, you shouldn’t cut any corners when it comes to prevention. At BugBros, our expert staff can provide you with even more tips on how to avoid tracking in fleas. We can get started right away on an inspection of your home, determining whether fleas are already brewing, or if more prevention is needed to keep them out. If an infestation is already spreading through your home, it’s important to not waste time on unproven, and potentially unsafe, methods. Instead, trust BugBros to remove fleas safely and effectively, following up regularly to make sure the problem doesn’t come back.
Protect your pets, and your household, from fleas by contacting BugBros today.
Our Crazy Happy Customers
We're the highest-rated around because we're incredibly passionate about our craft. As a matter of fact, our Crazy Happy Customers have given us a perfect 5.0 rating on 1,500+ reviews. That's unheard of! See for yourself why our raving fans have placed us head & shoulders above the competition.