15 Signs Of Termite Activity To Watch For Around Your Property
Every property owner knows how hard it can be to constantly maintain their home or business. There are so many threats that you need to guard your property against, one of the biggest being termites. Termites are more than nuisance pests. They are highly destructive wood eaters that can seriously damage your property. But, how do you know if you have termites? Well, let’s start with the basics.
Here are a few ways to identify a termite.
- Size: 1/8 – 1 inch long
- Color: Varies from white to brown, to black (depending on caste)
- Body: 2 segments with a straight abdomen; 2 antennae and 6 legs
What Should I Know About Termites?
Although they’re small, termites can have some very big consequences. They feed on the structural timbers of your home and/or business, weakening the construction over time and putting your safety at risk. As the infestation spreads, the results can be detrimental. By the time you’re able to detect any signs of termite activity, they’ve most likely already done some real damage.
The best thing you can do to protect yourself from termites is to be proactive. That means taking the necessary precautions to reduce your chances of experiencing termite activity. It’s important to eliminate attractants and conducive conditions around the house. That will give you a better chance of avoiding an infestation.
How Do I Know If I Have Termites?
If you’re not sure how to tell whether or not you have termites on your property, there are some telltale signs to look out for. The sooner you’re able to detect any termite activity, the sooner you can address the problem and stop the infestation in its tracks. Here are 15 common signs of termite infestation to watch out for.
- Ceilings and walls that buckle
- Signs of water damage
- Crumbling window sills and loose tiles
- Damp, damaged, or weakened wood
- Excessively squeaky/noisy floors
- Pin holes through drywall
- Wood that sounds hollow when tapped upon
- Mud tubes on your foundation
- Painted walls that bubble and peel
- Small tapping sounds from inside the walls
- Swarmer termites flying around looking for nesting spots
- Visible cracks and crevices along the foundation
- Windows and doors that are hard to open
- Wings discarded on the floor near doors and windows
- Worker termites in the soil that look like white ants
If you notice any of the signs above, the smartest thing to do is call in a professional pest control company. Of course, the best-case scenario would be to have never gotten termites in the first place. That’s why prevention is so important. It’s crucial to eliminate attractants around your property to minimize your chances of experiencing a termite infestation. Here are some helpful ways you can prevent them.
- Avoid any wood-to-soil contact.
- Eliminate excess moisture around the property.
- Install a dehumidifier in moisture rich areas.
- Keep downspouts extended away from the structure.
- Repair leaky faucets and faulty pipes.
- Use vent fans in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms.
- Remove rotting or moisture damaged wood.
- Fix rotten areas of the roof to prevent entry.
- Inspect all wood before bringing onto your property.
- Keep wood piles away from the perimeter of your building.
- Use weather stripping for all doors and windows.
Even if you remain diligent about these preventative efforts, results are never 100% guaranteed, which is why your best bet is to get help from the professionals. If you detect any signs of termite activity on your property, or you simply want to secure the best form of termite protection moving forward, contact the team at BugBros Pest Control. We are highly experienced in the successful extermination and prevention of termite activity, and we guarantee results you can count on. Call us today to set up your initial inspection.
About the Author
Our Crazy Happy Customers
We're the highest-rated around because we're incredibly passionate about our craft. As a matter of fact, our Crazy Happy Customers have given us a perfect 5.0 rating on 1,500+ reviews. That's unheard of! See for yourself why our raving fans have placed us head & shoulders above the competition.